Author: Rebecca Skloot
Her name was Henrietta Lacks, but scientists know her as HeLa. She was a poor Southern tobacco farmer who worked the same land as her slave ancestors, yet her cells—taken without her knowledge—became one of the most important tools in medicine. The first “immortal” human cells grown in culture, they are still alive today, though she has been dead for more than sixty years. If you could pile all HeLa cells ever grown onto a scale, they’d weigh more than 50 million metric tons—as much as a hundred Empire State Buildings. HeLa cells were vital for developing the polio vaccine; uncovered secrets of cancer, viruses, and the atom bomb’s effects; helped lead to important advances like in vitro fertilization, cloning, and gene mapping; and have been bought and sold by the billions.
Yet Henrietta Lacks remains virtually unknown, buried in an unmarked grave.
Now Rebecca Skloot takes us on an extraordinary journey, from the “colored” ward of Johns Hopkins Hospital in the 1950s to stark white laboratories with freezers full of HeLa cells; from Henrietta’s small, dying hometown of Clover, Virginia—a land of wooden slave quarters, faith healings, and voodoo—to East Baltimore today, where her children and grandchildren live and struggle with the legacy of her cells. Read the rest of this entry »
Posted by admin | Posted in New Releases, Teen-New | Posted on 24-01-2011-05-2008
Author: Melissa De La Cruz
Vampires have powers beyond human comprehension: strength that defies logic, speed that cannot be captured on film, the ability to shapeshift and more. But in matters of the heart, no one, not even the strikingly beautiful and outrageously wealthy Blue Bloods, has total control. In Bloody Valentine, bestselling author Melissa de la Cruz offers readers a new story about the love lives of their favorite vamps – the passion and heartache, the hope and devastation, the lust and longing. Combined with all the glitz, glamour, and mystery fans have come to expect, this is sure to be another huge hit in the Blue Bloods series.
|Publisher: Hyperion Book CH
Author: John MacArthur
Best-selling author and pastor Dr. John MacArthur reveals one crucial word that revolutionizes what it means to follow Jesus.
Throughout the Bible, followers of Jesus are commanded to submit to Him as their King. They are told to obey and follow, faithfully and without hesitation. Every time Christians utter the word Lord, they make a subtle yet profound declaration-that God is their Master and that they belong to Him. In fact, the Bible describes believers as His slaves. They have been bought with a price and now live for Christ as a people for His own possession.
But go into most churches today, even flip through most Bible translations, and you won’t see or hear the word slave anywhere. That’s because it has been lost in translation. In this gripping book, Dr. John MacArthur uses deep Bible teaching and historical evaluation to expertly uncover the one forgotten word that restores the Bible’s definition of true Christian freedom.
What does it mean to be a Christian the way Jesus defined it? MacArthur says it all boils down to one word: Slave. “We have been bought with a price. We belong to Christ. We are His own possession.”
“Dr. John MacArthur is never afraid to tell the truth and in this book he does just that. The Christian’s great privilege is to be the slave of Christ. Dr. MacArthur makes it clear that this is one of the Bible’s most succinct ways of describing our discipleship. This is a powerful exposition of Scripture, a convincing corrective to shallow Christianity, a masterful work of pastoral encouragement… Read the rest of this entry »
Author: Peter Walsh
It seems as though not a day goes by that we don’t think about money. We cut back on spending. We chase a bargain. We try to save more. We strive to use less credit. We worry about funding our retirement and our children’s education. Yet we continue to spend money on things that don’t matter. Peter Walsh knows that money and debt can overwhelm your life even faster than clutter, and he has a plan to help you deal with that emotional and financial chaos. Peter’s previous bestselling books inspired us to successfully evict the clutter in our homes, on our bodies, and in six key areas of our lives. But for many people, clearing the clutter suddenly exposes deeper issues—financial, physical, and emotional. Sometimes our problems are not really about the physical stuff but about the emotional fabric of our lives—from our relationships with money to our relationships with people and even how we define and find happiness.
In Lighten Up, Peter demonstrates that this reassessment of priorities is a great opportunity to examine our lives and circumstances and to make the changes necessary to focus on the things that really matter. Exploring the real source of happiness, Peter offers a clear strategy for finding the delicate balance between what we have, what we need, and what we want or feel entitled to. With three unique audits that cover every aspect of our well-being, he takes us step by step through sizing up not just our possessions and financial statements but also our thoughts, goals, use of time and energy, and even our innermost sources of tension. He then shows us how to embrace the changes we’ve experienced, set a new path for the future, and come to accept that living on less can feel—and be—so much richer. Read the rest of this entry »
Posted by admin | Posted in Health, Mind & Body | Posted on 28-11-2010-05-2008
Author: Marianne Williamson
6-CD set -?Unabridged Audiobook
?If your ?weighty thinking? does not change, then even if you lose weight you?ll retain an overwhelming subconscious urge to gain it back. It?s less important how quickly you lose weight, and more important how holistically you lose weight; you want your mind, your emotions, and your body to all ?lose weight.? Weight that disappears from your body but not from your soul is simply recycling outward for a while
but is almost certain to return. It?s self-defeating, therefore, to struggle to drop excess weight unless
you are also willing to drop the thought-forms that initially produced it and now hold it in place.?
? Marianne Williamson
What is the connection between spirituality and weight loss? Best-selling author Marianne Williamson is about to answer that question for you in her groundbreaking new audiobook, bringing you 21 spiritual lessons to help you surrender your weight forever. These lessons form a holistic paradigm for weight loss, addressing the spiritual, emotional, and psychological elements involved in what Williamson refers to as ?conscious weight loss.? If you are a food addict, a compulsive eater, or someone who for any reason sees food as the enemy, this book is for you.
A Course in Weight Loss?addresses the true causal root of your weight-loss issues: a place within you where you have?forgotten?your?divine perfection. This?forgetfulness?has confused not only your mind but also your body, making you reach for that which cannot sustain you . . . and reject that which does. As your mind reclaims its spiritual intelligence, your body will reclaim its natural intelligence as well.
The 21 lessons in this audiobook will take you on a deep, sacred journey. One step at a time, you will learn to shift your relationship with yourself?and your body?from one of fear to one of love. And you will begin to integrate the various parts of yourself?mind, body, and spirit?to become, once again, and in all ways, the beautiful and peaceful person you were created to be.
??????? As Williamson states: ?When it comes to your enjoyment of eating, your best days are not behind you but ahead of you!? So get ready to begin a new relationship with food . . . and with yourself.
|Binding: Audio CD
|Publisher: Hay House
Posted by admin | Posted in Health, Mind & Body | Posted on 28-11-2010-05-2008
Author: Linda Anne Silvestri RN MSN PhD
There is a reason Saunders Comprehensive Review for the NCLEX-RN? Examination has been called “the best NCLEX exam review book ever.” You’ll find everything you need to review for the NCLEX exam under one cover – complete content review and over 4,500 NCLEX examination-style questions in the book and on the free companion CD! Don’t make the mistake of assuming the quality of the questions is the same in all NCLEX exam review books, because only Silvestri’s Comprehensive Review for the NCLEX-RN? Examination includes the kind of questions that consistently test the critical thinking skills necessary to pass today’s NCLEX exam. And, what’s even better is that ALL answers include detailed rationales to help you learn from your answer choices, as well as test-taking strategies that provide tips for how to best approach each question. It’s easy to see why Silvestri is THE book of choice for NCLEX examination review. But don’t just take our word for it – read any customer review or ask your classmates to see why Silvestri users believe that there’s nothing else like it!
- Each question includes the correct answer, a complete rationale for all responses, and a test-taking strategy to help you develop techniques for locating the correct response.
- Each question includes a page reference to an Elsevier textbook to allow for further research and study.
- All alternate item-format questions are included, with multiple response, prioritizing, fill-in-the-blank, figure/illustration, chart/exhibit, and audio questions to prepare you for the wide variety of question types on the NCLEX-RN examination.
- Organization by nursing content area provides a logical, effective review to use throughout your nursing program.
- Pyramid Terms define key terms at the beginning of each major unit or chapter.
- Pyramid Points within each chapter highlight content that is important in preparing for the NCLEX-RN examination.
- Pyramid to Success sections provide an overview of major units or chapters and specific content related to the latest NCLEX-RN examination test plan.
- Pharmacology is emphasized with 13 pharmacology chapters, a medication and intravenous calculation chapter, and a pediatric medication calculation chapter to reflect this priority content on the NCLEX exam.
- Introductory chapters cover preparation for the NCLEX-RN exam, test-taking strategies, the NCLEX-RN exam from a student’s perspective, and transitional issues for the foreign-educated nurse.
- A comprehensive exam consists of 265 questions that cover all content areas in the book and mirror the percentages identified in the NCLEX-RN examination test plan.
- A companion CD allows practice in quiz, study, or exam modes, with questions selected from content area, integrated process, category of client need, or alternate item-format type.
- Completely updated content is based on the new NCLEX-RN examination test plan, effective April 2010.
- A total of 4,500 questions ensure that you’re thoroughly prepared for the content covered on the NCLEX-RN Exam.
- New chapter on physical assessment highlights the key components of physical examination and health history often encountered on the NCLEX exam.
- Audio and video questions on the companion CD provide experience with these new types of questions before the exam.
- Unique! Audio review summaries included on the CD cover the three core areas of pharmacology, fluids and electrolytes, and acid-base balance.
- Expanded coverage of prioritization, delegation, and nursing leadership and management provides critical information for these growing areas of nursing.
- Unique! Priority Nursing Actions boxes outline and explain clinical emergent situations requiring immediate action, including detailed rationales and textbook references to help strengthen your prioritizing skills in clinical and testing situations.
- Pyramid Alert boxes highlight important nursing concepts to help you focus on the content that is most frequently tested on the NCLEX examination.
- Automatic software updates on CD make it easy to check for changes and updates throughout the life of the edition.